Well, my 2nd full triathlon is over! Last Saturday, I did my 2nd tri with a 1/4 mile swim, 14.7 mile bike and 3.2 mile run. It was the perfect weather day...lots of sunshine and a cool ocean breeze. I was so nervous the night before asking myself why I was doing this again. And, up until I got in the water to swim, I had major butterflies. I was worried the water was going to be unbearably cold. When I did a practice swim in the same spot a week before, I could hardly put my face in the water because it was so cold. But, during the race, I don't remember even noticing the cold at all. I think I was just too focused on getting through it. I know I didn't swim the best that I could. That part is something I'll have to work on for next season. I know I'm a strong swimmer, but in the open ocean it's a little scarier for me. Plus, it's the first event of the race and my nerves are on high gear. But, I completed the swim in 13 min. (usually takes me 9 1/2 in the pool). The bike was a beautiful ride, partly along the water. It seemed like everyone was passing me on their fast, road bikes. I just have a mountain bike. But, I didn't care. I was peddaling as fast as I could and trying to enjoy it all. You get your age written on the back of your leg, on your calf. So, as all these people were passing me, I could see that many were 10-20 years older than me. I just laughed to myself and kept going. My shoestring got caught in my chain at one point when I was almost to the end. So, I had to jump off and pull it out. Could've been a lot worse!
The run was actually my favorite part of the whole race, which is a big first for me. I've had a hard time really getting into and enjoying the running part of my training all these months. But, I could tell that my practice running paid off for this race. I ran with no problems, and didn't feel the need or temptation to walk once. I was close to tears at one point as I was running because I couldn't believe I was doing it and really enjoying it. The run was right along the ocean, and it was breathtaking. I could hardly contain my praise to God! I was able to pass some people on the run. I kept singing praise choruses in my head as I was running along. By the time I got to the finish line, I felt like I could just keep on running! I guess I finally experienced that runner's high that several people have mentioned to me (that I couldn't believe existed). But, boy did it feel good to run through the finish line! My total time was 1 hour and 42 minutes. My goal was under 2 hours. My run actually took me less time than I thought (25 min. compared to my usual 30 minutes). So, I am glad it's over, but I had a blast!!
For the Fall and Winter months, I want to continue working on my run and swim 1-2 times a week. Next spring, I'll have to get some more open water/ocean swimming practice to feel more comfortable with that.
I'm still on a high from the race! I'm definately up for another one next summer. (although I'm not sure Kevin is ready to deal with my pre-race anxiety... ha!)
All through the run, I was just praising and giving thanks to God that I am physically able to do this (whether I'm fast or not) and that He created such a beautiful world to enjoy through swimming, biking and running! He's so GOOD!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
super sweet.
you gotta love that runners high... although it seems to come and go as it pleases... but i've experienced it a time or two.
glad to hear you did so good. 25 min for the run is very good - especially after swimming and biking.
sounds awesome!! Glad you found something you enjoy so much!
Post a Comment